Red Velvet Brownies

by Emma on January 10, 2011

in Dessert

Recently, Elsie and I got the chance to hang out with a few really sweet ladies who host their own art group. They spend time encouraging each other and, when possible, doling out business tips. They were kind enough to come to our shop one night and hang out with us. So I made them brownies.

Redvelvetbrownies
But not just any brownies (although most brownies are pretty good… I'm a fan). I made them Red Velvet brownies with a dark chocolate top.

I ate a few too. I mean, you can't serve something you haven't tried. That's just risky. And no fun.

These are super easy to make, and pretty to serve. So if it's snowing where you are too, then make some brownies and stay home with your dog and a book! That's what I'm doing. And I'm really cool. Obviously.

Red Velvet Brownies, makes one 13 in. x 9in. pan of brownies.

Ingredients: 1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons baking cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional), 2 cups flour, a few squirts of red food coloring (I like Ameri-color) and 1 large bar of dark chocolate.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and stir to combine. In a seperate bowl combine flour, cocoa and espresso powder (if using), whisk together. Add in half the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stir then add the remaining dry mix and stir until well combined. Stir in the red coloring. Pour batter into a greased, or parchment paper covered baking pan. Top with chopped dark chocolate. Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes.

Serve warm with a tall glass of milk, if possible. :)

Cedar January 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

Those sound positively divine. As soon as we finish up the leftover holiday candy, I must give these a try!

Danavee January 10, 2011 at 11:31 am

Espresso powder…….where can I buy this at (as I am challenged when searching for ingredients. And impatient)?

Carrie Rosalind January 10, 2011 at 11:41 am

Those sound amazing…adding another recipe to my list to try!

Jessica January 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Looks delish! Finding the perfect brownie recipe is on my to-do list for 2011, so I’ll have to give this one a go!

emma January 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Espresso powder can be found at many (but not all) grocery stores. I had to try three in my town before I found some. You can use finely ground coffee too. It really enhances the chocolate flavor, and a little goes a long way so once you find a jar it will last you a while. :)

burgess January 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m a little pregnant right now (34 weeks) and I NEED these right this minute. The food on this blog is sometimes too good to be true!

Danavee January 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Thanks so much for the info on the espresso powder! I live in the same lovely town that you do, so surely Dillon’s or Harter House have it.

Caitlin January 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

These look so good…. I might make some tonight just for fun, and because I’ve been wanting to bake something since the holidays ended. Yum!
I totally missed the bandwagon on the question post (found your blog a little too late!) but would like to ask one now if it’s ok! I have a 9-5 job but dream of opening a bakery someday. Can you talk about what your job is like day to day, what sort of hours you work, whether you do all the baking and selling yourself, etc? It sounds like a dream job – is it?

Chelseabird January 10, 2011 at 9:16 pm

These look so yummy! Must try them out sometime soon :]

Bekka January 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm

This is a must-try! They look so good!

Kaitlyn January 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

oh…those look so good! :)

Krystal January 11, 2011 at 3:49 am

Yum! Brownies are my weakness…and these look pretty delish! Can’t wait to give ‘em a try! :)

shirin January 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

woooah. these look so dense & good!

LulaBelleBouvier January 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Hi. Uh, last night I wanted brownies, but it was late, and I needed chocolate NOW. So I mixed up the brownie mix with water, and ate some out of the bowl. Don’t judge, I was desperate. The end. :)

Jolie January 11, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Yum! It’s a snow day and I had (most of) what was needed so I thought why not? I made a few changes…cut the recipe in half, used 1/4 applesauce and yogurt spread instead of butter, and I used choc. chips in place of shaved dark. Even with the adjustments they were amazing!!! Can’t wait to try these again on a non-snow day so I can run to the store for those items I don’t have on hand. But I think I may keep the lower fat butter-alternative options…new year’s res and all.

Danavee January 11, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Okay……help. Mine were way, um, taller? Fatter? They rose about two inches. I liked the way yours looked. What in the heck did I do wrong?
And I think I found espresso powder at Dillon’s.

$arah January 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I made these last night and they are very good! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Sara April 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Love this recipe. Just made them tonight. It was the first time I’ve ever made brownies and they turned out pretty nice. Though I put white chocolate on instead of dark. Still awesome though.

Rowena June 28, 2011 at 8:52 am

Hi Emma! I’ve got a question about the amount of cacao that I have to put in here. It doesn’t say how much at the ingredients list… I think I’ve put in way too much last time I tried to bake this… :) I put in almost 2 cups… Thanks for sharing all your delicious receipes!! Keep up the good work! xo Rowena

Emma June 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm

it’s 6 tablespoons of cocoa. best of luck!