Green Bean Bites

by Emma on January 17, 2011

in Dinner

Greenbeanbites
These were adorable, and cheesy, and yummy. I recently discovered that I like green beans, so now I am on a mission to find ways to eat them. Other then the classic green bean casserole.

Nothing wrong with the classic, just looking for variety.

I was also looking for a vegetable side dish. Yep, I was planning a dinner and I thought, "this meal needs a vegetable side dish." And these are what I came up with. Green Beans wrapped in cheesy bread.

Pretty healthy solution, huh?

Greenbeanbites2
Green Bean Bites, makes 1 lb of bites.

Ingredients: 1 lb fresh green beans, 1 sheet of puff pastry, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.

First you need to rinse and de-stem the green beans. I usually line a bunch up and chop off the ends, but if you are prone to snapping off the ends while sitting in a rocking chair on your front porch listening to Willie Nelson…

… well aren't you just charmingly country. I'm a little jealous.

In a pot of boiling, salted water blanch the beans for 5-8 minutes. In drain and plunge into cold water (this stops the cooking process). Lay them out on a towel or paper towels to dry a bit while you slice up the puff pastry into thin strips. Dip and press these strips in cheese, then wrap around the green beans. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes, or until the puff pastry looks golden.

Devour. Never apologize.

LauraP January 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

Green beans are just about the only veggie that my hubby will eat, so we eat them a LOT at our house. Our fave way (and I’m not sure if this will work for you, since you are not much of a red meat eater) is the following -
Take frozen (or fresh) grean beans, and put in a microwave-safe bowl. Add cooked and crumbled bacon (or real bacon bits from a package, but those are yucky), then add a couple of table spoons of butter or olive oil and a few finely chopped green onions. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 5 min (if using frozen veggies). You may want to stir once. If you need to add more time, stir, replace the plastic wrap, and cook again, at 1 min intervals until warm and yummy.

Sarah M January 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

oh my gosh these look SO great. A girlfriend and I went to PF Chang’s this weekend and she LOVES the green-bean appetizer. I’m forwarding her this right now!
Sarah M

allison January 17, 2011 at 11:27 am

What a fun party food! I think these will need to be featured at my little cocktail party for valentine’s day.

Nicole Coffin January 17, 2011 at 11:48 am

Those are too cute! I use scissors to cut the ends off my green beans. These would go over really well around here. We eat those green bean fries from Fridays all the time…..these look 10 times better.

leigh January 17, 2011 at 11:55 am

my mister ONLY eats green beans. i cook them over the stone, but add a little bit of sugar maybe a spoonful or two. it adds just enough sweetness to them to spice up the ordinary. plus its really easy.

suzanne January 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

this is genius! i actually just bought a poound of green beans yesterday and was looking for a new recipe for them – so thanks! can’t wait to try this tonight :)

Lindsay Jewell January 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Mmm, yum. I recently discovered my love of green beans as well. We made dilly beans this last summer and I’m so, so addicted.

Annie January 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I LOVE green beans! My very favorite is quick cooked in a hot pan with lots of chopped garlic and bacon so the beans are still a little crunchy (its good with butter instead of bacon too!)
I’m diggin’ your blog and your insanely cute sweet shoppe!

madi January 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm
Chelseabird January 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Oh my goodness, these look amazing!

Kellie January 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm

i love this idea! and this is one of my bf’s favorites, so thanks for the share!!!! cant wait to make them.

evan January 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

i really think my picky 5 year old will eat these… they look so cute AND yummy! I’m definitely going to make them! Thanks for sharing your creativity… I LOVE your blog :)

Bekah January 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Loveliness. Everything about this is loveliness.
But I thought I’d share with you a super simple green bean recipe my dad found in a Julia Child’s cookbook years ago. Who knows what it’s actually called. We call them “Bean-Beans” and have been known to sit on my parents bed eating them out of the pot with our fingers like popcorn.
Snap the ends off your beans. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and throw a pound or two of beans in. Boil them for 5-7 minutes, leaving them still tendercrisp! Drain in a colander, put the beans back into the warm pot and toss with a couple tablespoons of buttter (or olive oil) Use garlic and onion powder on them like you would salt and pepper – seasoning lightly depending on the amount of beans you have. Use salt and pepper. Then, just before serving (so the cheese doesn’t melt and clump up too much) sprinkle them generously with parmesan cheese and toss. Uh-may-zing. My family’s favorite.

Kayleigh January 31, 2011 at 3:14 pm

OMG, I MUST try making these!!!

Michele February 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

Hi Emma,
I tried this recipe for Super Bowl. It was so delicious!
I liked your blog and your recipe in my blog. :)

Michele February 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

linked*

Kellie February 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

so i loved this recipe so much i tried my own take on it…. here it is (i gave credit to you as well on my post!)

Marie June 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Emma, my boyfriend and I LOVE fresh green beans, we can get them incredibly cheap at our farmers market here. This is the recipe we like.

Blanch green beans like normal; put them on a paper towel to dry. Meanwhile get a non-stick skillet and some oil going in the pan, on medium high heat. Grab a plastic bag or a bowl and toss the beans with any kind of spicy spices. We use, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne and whatever else sounds good with the meal. Toss them in the hot oil and let them sizzle until they are good and dark around the edges. Talk about a flavor burst!

Emily July 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I made these with asparagus for my super-bowl party this year! They were sooo good!!! Everyone loved them! Thanks!!

Jessie January 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Such a fantastic appetizer idea!