Ring in the New Year with…books!

by Emma on December 31, 2010

in Books

That's right. I suggested it. Not gonna take it back. Reading is like a party in your brain.

Passage

In all seriousness now-this book, The Passage, was really good. It's epic and addictive. I must warn you though-it is very thick and will take you some time to read. Worth it though. The story is a haunting narrative about a new virus that has been unleashed on the modern world, turning it's victims into totally lethal and scary (not sexy) vampires. Yep, vampires. The only hope for the few remaining humans left in the wake of this new diseases torching path is one eight year old girl, who may or may not be the cure. It's so good! Oh and just so you won't be caught off guard like I was, this is a series. As in there will be a sequel or possible trilogy.

Cookbookcollector
This novel, The Cookbook Collector, is much softer on the palette. A lovely story centered around two sisters who are starting their adult lives and falling in and out of love. There were parts where I wanted to cheer, parts where I wanted to cry and parts where I wanted to eat. Let me explain that last one. :) There are a bunch of gorgeous and descriptive food passages in this book, because one of the sisters finds and begins to study this massive and rare cookbook collection. Those parts were so lovely, I think this author might like food as much as me. Anyway, this was a wonderfully fun read that I highly recommend.

Happy New Year!

Bridget December 31, 2010 at 8:45 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I love to read, and these both sound interesting.

Trina Curran December 31, 2010 at 9:13 am

I just finished a light little novel called The Icing on the Cupcake by Jennifer Ross. You would like it, I’m sure…if you need a break and a quick read. And it has all the recipes included in it too…bonus. :)

Mandy December 31, 2010 at 9:39 am

Those books look amazing, and I’m really intrigued by “The Passage.” Right now I’m reading “The Historian” by Elizabeth Kostova, and it’s amazing!! It totally sucks you in, and it revolves around the history of Dracula (Vlad Tepes) – it’s filled with suspense and true-to-fact descriptions of the many places the characters are travelling – I’m only on page 87 and can’t wait to read more!
Hope you have a Happy New Year!

lindsey December 31, 2010 at 2:23 pm

i loved the passage can’t wait for the next one to come out.

Katy January 1, 2011 at 2:43 am

HAPPY 2011 EMMA!!!! :-) Hope you have a great year!!!!

marissa (stylebook) January 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

thanks for the rec! i just snagged the passage through your link- hope you’re an amazon affiliate! ;)

Bianetth Valdez January 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm

This post is wonderful, my new years resolution is to read more books and these seem like good reads.

mandy January 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh my, I didn’t know that The Passage was a series either. I was so mad when I got to the end. Seriously, I couldn’t understand how they would end it the way the did. I walked around upset for a whole day before I talked to my husband about it and he said, “oh, I didn’t tell you? There are more books still to come.”
Arggg, good book though!

Yolanda January 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Today I went to the library and took The Cookbook Collector, following your recommendation. I only read some pages, but it looks sooo good! Thanks Emma! :)