Recovering…

by Emma on November 26, 2010

in Books

I hope you are all recovering nicely from Thanksgiving.

I ate WAY too much. Then took a nap. Then woke up and ate some leftovers.

I wasn't even hungry, I am just a sucker for apple pie. Anyway….

Let's talk books!

Meeks

I was really excited about this novel. It's the first by Miss Julia Holmes, who I believe is an editor at Rolling Stone magazine. And it had a very unique writing style, and such an interesting idea behind it. The premise is this world where the men sort of have to play a social game to win the honor of marriage, otherwise they become laborers. It sort of made me think of The Bachelor gone literary. But in the end I just found it too wordy and difficult to follow. Sorry.

Lucy

Lucy was an absolutely marvelous read. I truly loved this book! It's almost like a modern-day Frankenstein, if Mary Shelley had decided to make her monster a teenage girl and the narrator of her own story. Gonzales' novel centers around the life a young girl who is half human and half ape, and explores what might happen if such a being were living in modern America. If you read this, you will absolutely fall in love with Lucy, she is charming and witty and is stuck with a life that she did not choose.

Mocking_jay

It is no secret that I love the Hunger Games  series by Suzanne Collins. I believe it to be one of the most addictive young adult series, like, ever. :) I adored the final book in the series, and in case you too are a fan and have not had the pleasure of reading this yet I won't say anything about how it all ends. I will say that Collins ties up a love triangle as well as a war with such grace and honesty. It's quite bitter sweet. But if it wasn't I think we would have missed one of the main points driving this work of fiction, and that is that war is awful and in the end it's hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys because war makes us all do terrible and sad things to each other.

So that's what I've been reading lately. I'm in the market for any good recommendations you might have, so please, comment away.

Also, if you like book reviews or recommendations (or just rants:) then click on the little button that says "Books" in red below this post to see some of my past reads.

P.S all images found via amazon and google image search.

Rachel November 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

Olive Kitteridge was great- lots of doughnut shops. And Freedom by Jonathan Franzan if you like big sweeping novel.s Also, if you love big sweeping novels that take forever to read, Larry McMurtry is so good.

shana November 26, 2010 at 11:27 am

how do you feel about zombies? feed by mira grant is one of the best books i’ve read in a long time. i keep buying copies to give to people its so good.
also, you might like the sweetness at the bottom of the pie by alan bradley. so much fun!

Laura @ Meet Virginia November 26, 2010 at 11:34 am

I’m in the middle of Mockingjay right now. I’ve been so in love with The Hunger Games and I just don’t want it to end! I’m dying to find out who Katniss ends up with!

Brandi November 26, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I just finished Hunger Games last night and I cannot wait to get my hands on the other ones.

Katie November 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Hey Emma! I too LOVE the Hunger Game series! A friend recently recommended the series by Jen Lancaster… I’m not sure if the series has a name? The first book is called, “Bitter is the New Black.” It’s witty and hilarious.

Katie Delaria November 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm

“House of Leaves” by Mark Z. Danielewski. It’s quite the trip. Kind of a story within a story within a story.

Mel Tischuk November 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm

My sister in law bought me Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin. It was like Mills and Boon on acid. I couldn’t put it down.
I bought a David Sedaris book on your recommendation and loved it!!

Lisa November 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm

ahhh i just read the whole hunger games trilogy earlier this month and loved it. the first book made me cry 3-4 times :)
i have to say though, i am disappointed by who she ended up with it – i was totally rooting for the other guy!

emma November 26, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Lisa-I felt similar, but if it had been the other way I think I’d still be saying the same thing. That’s the problem with a really good love triangle, you sort of end up rooting for everyone. :)

Lyndsee November 27, 2010 at 12:22 am

Have you read Bridget Jones’s Diary? I know it’s old, but wow, seriously like my favorite book. If you’re in the mood for something light and clever and british, it’s a keeper.

DaShannon November 27, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Have you read The Historian? If not put it on your calendar for next October for a modernish Dracula story. Fabulous really.

Bekka December 4, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I’m intrigued by the premise of Lucy. Loved Frankenstein when I read it in college…I may have to give this a try!

Ellen December 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Thanks so much for recommending “The Hunger Games”. I bought it some days ago, and now I can’t wait for the holidays to be over so that I can go and buy the other two books. This story is INCREDIBLE… Wow.