Oatmeal and Berry Muffins

by Emma on November 22, 2010

in Uncategorized

Muffins2
I haven't made muffins in a very, very long time.

I make cupcakes…most days. So pulling out my cupcake pans on my day off hasn't appealed to me lately.

But here are some reasons why muffins are worth it: easier to make than cake (literally, because you don't have to make any frosting), they BEG to be eaten with massive amounts of coffee (I mean they nearly always sell muffins at coffee shops for a reason-it's a conspiracy!) and a muffin a day keeps the doctor away.

What? You think that last one isn't quite right?

Shows how much you know.

Muffins1
Oatmeal and Berry Muffins, makes 12-15 standard size

Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1 1/4 cups oats, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup apple sauce, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 large egg and 1 cup fresh berries (I used raspberries).

In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl combine beaten egg, applesauce and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix, stir to combine. Add in the buttermilk and stir until just combined. Fold in the berries.

Fill generously greased muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 375 F for 16-18 minutes.

P.S. What's your favorite berry?

Yolanda Valle November 22, 2010 at 8:19 am

A” muffin a day keeps the doctor away”… hahahaha! I´ve never heard that before, it´s hilarious! I WANT those muffins for breakfast NOW!! Well, maybe I have to conform with bagels…
I´m classic, love strawberries!

Miki November 22, 2010 at 8:58 am

These pictures are mouth watering! You’re evil! It’s hard to be on a diet and see all the yummy things you make, hehe.
Have an awesome week, Emma! :)

Jenny November 22, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oohh, I will have to try these. I made blueberry over the weekend, I had never made them from scratch before, yummy! I have to say I love anything rasberry!

Renata November 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

mmmmmmmmm that looks so bloody yummy!!!!!!!
here you can’t find berries that easy, i love raspberry, i hate blueberry, love blackberries…. and strawberries. Those i can buy any place right now because summer’s coming, so peaches and strawberries are all around…
i have to bake these!!!

runa November 22, 2010 at 9:37 am

mmh they look so delicious!! My favourite berry – raspberry :)

Serena November 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

Hey Emma!
I always read your blog and I look at you with admiration, for I really CAN’T bake anything at all, or cook or, you know, just make some orange juice -haha, but please don’t make fun of me :D
The fact is, I always want to try your recipes (which seem to be all delicious) but I never do.
…and yet, THIS time will be different. I don’t know why, but this muffins recipe totally got me. No escape now, it’s me against the berry muffins. I’ll keep you updated about how this thing ends!
Love, Seri.
PS. thanks for your blog! I find it awesome!

Serena November 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

PPS. Almost forgetting.. my favourite berry is strawberry! :D

J.P. November 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm

oh man, i need to make these while i’m in utah this week. i love all your recipes, emma. i can’t say it enough.
favorite berry? do i have to choose? i love ‘em all!

Carly November 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm

blue/blubberberry–especially when paired with citrus… yum! how is the cupcake baking / catering going?

taylor November 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm

i have an insane amount of fresh blueberries in my freezer and this seems like the perfect solution for baking with them. these muffisn sound GREAT!
taylor

Margje November 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I like all kinds of berries.. Gooseberries, blackberries, strawberries, you name it. I love the combination of strawberries and plums. Recently I discovered my favourite berry is a blueberry.
Anyway. Gonna make those muffins real soon. Maybe tomorrow.

eeny November 22, 2010 at 3:36 pm

They look so yummy. I guess I need some of those for breakfast tomorrow.
My favorite berry? It’s a tie between raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. I really can’t descide. =)

Bekka November 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I will definitely be trying this!
And the answer is, strawberry.

AlyssaG November 22, 2010 at 9:32 pm

raspberry for sure! these look amazing

Holly November 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm

These look amazing. Adding this to my list of recipes to try!! Thanks Emma!

chelz November 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I love raspberries sooo much..But I have to say that my favorite berries are strawberries..especially when they’re just right…delicious. :3

Monica November 25, 2010 at 4:05 am

Haha i love this post (:
Monica

taylormadenews December 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm
Katie June 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm

mmmmm yummy.
I love Elsies blog. She recommended your blog.
I love food. You make great looking food on your blog.
Hence, I am now going to follow you xx

Jenna January 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm

i loveeeeeee your blog <3 <3 i also love to bake so its nice to have a place to find different recipes. Pleasee, never stop blogging :)