How to…Sundae Cupcakes

by Emma on November 8, 2010

in Uncategorized

Sundaecupcake

This is a great example of that whole "turning lemons into lemonade" thing. You know what I'm talking about-a mistake that somehow, by the grace of the powers that be, turns into something pretty decent.

I tried to make Hi-Hat Cupcakes. And failed. Quite miserably, I might add.

What's that? Oh, yes I do make cupcakes for a living…

So failing at this new recipe was pretty disheartening. After my third cupcake that I dipped and it totally flopped over for me I: A.)Threw myself a pity party. B.) Cursed at the failed cupcakes. Not under my breath. Just out loud in my kitchen, like a baby. or C.)Turned my failure into something else delicious?

That was a trick question. I did all of the above.

Cupcaketutorial
First you have to make chocolate cupcakes. I actually used a box mix just for the ease of it.

Then in a glass bowl combine 1 3/4 cup sugar, 3 large egg whites (NO YOLKS) and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. Using a hand-mixer beat it together until foamy (about 1-2 minutes). Then place the bowl over barley simmering water (this is how you make a faux double boiler) and beat with the hand-mixer for 12 minutes.

The longest 12 minutes of your life. I swear. :)

Use a candy thermometer to check how hot the frosting is getting. You want it to reach around 160 degrees. Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag.

I didn't use a tip on my pastry bag, I just cut off the end because I knew I wanted a big swirl design. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in big mountains.

Mount Fluff n' Stuff.

That was lame. I'm sorry.

Now refrigerate those Mount Fluffs (I can't stop, it's a disease) for 5-10 minutes.

Here's where me and Hi-Hat Cupcakes part ways. I melted a bit of dark chocolate and drizzled it over the top and sprinkled on nuts.

Sundaecupcakes

I think they look like ice cream sundae's a little. And they taste like heaven. I'm just sure of it.

Lesson learned: Don't fret-there are no mistakes when everything is edible and delicious.

Lesley November 8, 2010 at 8:31 am

they look yummy! it was nice meeting you on friday… i’ll be back for a cupcake and some more bubble tea soon!

taylor November 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

Hey, here’s a secret to successfully dipping hot fudge sundae cupcakes (that’s what I call em). I used to make them all the time when I worked in a bakery.
Pipe your icing out in a big swirl like you did, then freeze them till they are VERY firm. Dip them and then let them set, it should help you out big time.
Also-I’d use melted ganache-not chocolate candy coating. :) good luck!

Katie W November 8, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I like your version so much better than the Hi-Hat… Much prettier and delicious looking!

Alexa November 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm

These look so delicious! I’m going to have to try making them.

Bekka November 8, 2010 at 10:16 pm

They’re so pretty! Almost too pretty to eat…almost. :)

Rosie November 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

These excite me more than I would have ever thought possible! You have combined two of my favourite things – cupcakes and sundaes. Yum yum yum. x

Denise November 10, 2010 at 8:20 am

Also, instead of standing over the double boiler and whipping the eggs, you can just let them sit with some occasional stirring and then whip them when they finally do come to temp. :)

Amanda November 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I love reading your post! You are so funny! :) As for the cupcakes, your mishaps are waaayyyy better than my best! :)

kristin November 16, 2010 at 12:40 pm

i have tried to make that frosting i think 3 or 4 times and it.ends.up being the most.disgusting.stuff ever. to look and and eat. how do you get it so divine looking? and fluffy?! i seriously did all the stuff you mentioned above (*i think!)
lovely, lovely!