Herbed Hummus

by Emma on November 4, 2010

in Dinner

I once went through a stage where I ate hummus like it was the only thing at the bottom of the food pyramid. You know the section devoted to breads and grains? For a while, I pretended it was just hummus.

Sometimes I get obsessed with a particular food. Does anyone else do this?

Herbedhummas
Luckily that old adage, "You are what you eat," isn't totally true. Otherwise I would be in deep deep trouble.

Even though my hummus craze has subsided in recent days (maybe I am older and wiser, or maybe I moved on to another obsession….) I still love a good hummus. And I love how you can add just a few ingredients and make a whole new variety.

If cooking is creating, then eating is probably destruction. Most of my "creations" have very short lived lives in this case;)

I'm a monster.

Herbed Hummus, makes 3-5 cups

Ingredients: 2 cans drained chickpeas, 1/2 cup packed Italian parsley, 1/3 cup olive oil (plus more to serve), salt and pepper to taste.

In a food processor, blend together the drained chickpeas and roughly chopped parsley. In a steady stream, while your processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Remove to a serving bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. When you are ready to serve drizzle just a bit more olive oil over the top, for looks but it taste great too:) I served mine with toasted baguette slices, but fresh cut veggies are great too! Try it with cucumbers or carrot sticks.

AlyssaG November 4, 2010 at 8:22 am

Most of my “creations” have very short lived lives… i love that line! ive bought ready made hummus for years. a couple months ago i decided to try and make a pumpkin hummus and it was so amazing! i dont think ill ever go back to hummus from the store ever again!

Erica B. November 4, 2010 at 8:45 am

Oh wow, that looks so yummy!

Gabriella Reichert November 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

I do the same thing…and my current obsession in fact is hummus! I tried to make a Roasted Eggplant hummus and it didn’t turn out so well…it just wasn’t smooth…should I just be adding more olive oil, or do you think there is something else that I am doing wrong?

Renata November 4, 2010 at 10:22 am

I’ve eaten hummus like… twice in my life! At this awesome armenian shawarma fast food place here in Montevideo, with falafel, i have to say i love chickpeas!
I’m gonna try this recipe, i’m not a veggie yet but i’m slowly walking towards that path so… :)
congrats about your shoppe ;)
oh and about your crush on cinnamon cereal, i’ve posted on my blog a recipe for cinnamon buns, kanelbullar, the swedish ones, mam’ they’re SO delicious! If you speak spanish (your mum’s form somewhere around here, right?) you can step by and try them, you won’t regret!!

Kara November 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

YUM. I love love love hummus. I love it homemade – we do jalapeno cilantro hummus and it is THE BOMB. One of the only occasions I can actually use an entire thing of cilantro.
Also, please tell me you saw Sex and the City 2. The only funny part of that movie was the hummus part.

Redneck Princess November 4, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Mmm….sounds delicious, I also obsess over food for a period of time and then move on :) Last one was steamed Edamame beans with a little olive oil and salt, I actually do that with many things in my life come to think of it!! Thanks for the recipe..hummus for dinner it is, who knew it was so easy??

Bekka November 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I do that with soup. I could alternate between cheesy potato, vegetable beef, and chili without any other type of food if my husband didn’t mind. (He likes soup…just not to the extent that I do.) :)

Alexa November 5, 2010 at 2:16 am

I do that all the time. Right now I’m addicted to veggie burgers with grilled peppers and some tzatziki. Also gourmet grilled cheese with cheddar, mozzarella, herb goat cheese and spinach paired with some spicy tomato soup. I can never quite get hummus right, but I will have to try this!

J.P. November 5, 2010 at 11:31 am

i can eat hummus by the spoonful. so good!
and congrats on the store opening!!! your shop looks so sweet. (eh? ehh? ;) )
i want to take a road trip to the midwest just so i can see the wonderful store and eat some of the caramel cupcakes i keep hearing about on your sister’s blog. love it! congrats, girl <3

Toni Brockliss November 5, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I love hummus. With a little turkish bread and a glass of wine. It’s perfect.
I am so excited about your wonderful shop. You have inspired me to make cupcakes today. I am trying to make two lots – apple custard and peanut butter.
Your shop is so beautiful and everyone is so proud of you and Elsie.
xx

Nikki November 6, 2010 at 7:01 am

I really like hummus too. I find that lately though I like to make it with white beans instead of chickpeas. It comes out a little smoother and that’s been to my taste lately.
I am a monster too.

Bekka November 7, 2010 at 11:05 am

And to follow up…I have never tried hummus. Last night we had dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant, and hummus was the side that came with the kebab I ordered. So, I tried it. Loved it. And now I will try making this myself! :)

Meghan November 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I made this last Friday as the app for a dinner party and it was so freakin’ good. I added a couple gloves of garlic…so simple and easy. Thank you so much for sharing!! I’m going to make is again SOON.

Rebecca June 21, 2011 at 8:23 am

I loooove hummus…and that is like the easiest recipe EVER! How can you go wrong? I will have to try it….Though all i have is a mini food processor doohickey. Might have to half the amounts to give it a try. :D