Broccli and Cheese Quiche

by Emma on November 30, 2010

in Breakfast

So you know how I said I'd share the pie crust yesterday. I wasn't lying. So there.

Quiche1
I like sweet pie and I like savoy pie. And by savoy pie, I mean quiche. Preferable with broccoli and cheese. Lots of cheese.

Because, why not?

Also, a note about cheese: for this quiche I used Gruyere cheese. Raise your hand if you have ever bought Gruyere…

Ok. So since I'm on the internet I can't really see if you are raising your hand or not…moving on to my point. This was the first time I ever bought/used Gruyere.

Image

It was easily the most expensive thing in my cart, well, except for a bottle of wine I was also buying. But I was pretty curious since it was the most expensive cheese I'd ever had.

And I was not disappointed. Oh, oh yum! It's great for baking and is slightly salty and nutty.

Like me.

Ok, that was really lame. Sorry everyone.

Bottom line, I think it's my new favorite cheese. Wait, no I still LOVE Brie. Wait, no Gruyere…

Man my life is hard.

Quiche2
Broccoli and Cheese Quiche.

For the crust: 3 cups flour, 1 cup cold butter, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup very cold water

Sift together the flour and salt. Add the cold butter in small cubes or use a cheese grater to grate it in, either way. Blend together until crumbly, then slowly add in the cold water. Form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a hour (or over night if possible).

By the way, I did not make up this pie crust recipe. It's from Martha.

Roll out the crust in place it in a well greased pie pan. Bake, covered with parchment paper and pie weights, at 350 F for 12-14 minutes. Then remove and fill with quiche filling.

For the filling:

3-4 cups chopped broccoli, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tablespoons oil oil, salt and pepper to taste, 6-7 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream (I used half and half) and 3 eggs.

Saute the broccoli and garlic in the olive oil for 4-6 minutes over medium heat, adding a bit of salt and pepper. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, cream and eggs. Fill crust with broccoli then pour over the egg and milk mixture and top off with the shredded cheese. Bake for another 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

Devour with a large fork. :)

Laura @ Meet Virginia November 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

That looks so good! I think I’ll make it for dinner this week! I LOVE gruyere. Okay, I love brie too. But I can totally relate on the price issue… so expensive, but worth it I think!

AlyssaG November 30, 2010 at 9:42 am

wow i love love quiche… this one looks amazing! ive gotta try this recipe

ali November 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

umm, yum. I want to make this now. ;)

Maddy November 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Gruyere and Brie are my favorite cheeses! But they can be sooooo expensive…. thankfully my Grandmother buys us a large wheel of brie every year for Christmas :) haha

Marmie November 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Gruyere is SO GOOD. You need to try it on a grilled cheese sandwich with granny smith apple slices. DIE.

Rene Wood November 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Gruyere is the best cheese EVER. Can’t wait to make this recipe! Also cannot wait for your next post. LOVE your style.

emily November 30, 2010 at 7:56 pm

oh wow this sounds so good and possibly easy. I love your humor and writing and well your recipes too. thanks!

Sarah Rachel November 30, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I started buying “fancy cheese” about a year ago and never looked back. I mean, I was raised on Kraft shredded cheese and Cool Whip, so I consider that a pretty big step. Fancy cheese! It’s delicious. I looooove your blog! Hearts!

emma November 30, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Sarah Rachel-I’m so glad you said that, I totally call it, “fancy cheese” as well. :) xo. Emma

Michael - Innkeeper December 1, 2010 at 6:59 am

Hi emma! I found you via your buckeye post on smile and wave. i freakin’ love buckeyes! yum!
you should like them up to kim’s dare to diy party … the theme of this week is cookies! yum.
here’s the link if you are interested …..

Elizabeth December 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

Gruyere is my most favorite of all the cheeses. I made mac and cheese with it the first time I bought it, I cried a little it was soooo good! Worth every penny! It’s also good on baked eggs florentine… and on english muffins topped with avocado slices… and stacked with slices of pepperoni…

christy sheffield December 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Sounds yummy. I’m adding this to my menu plan!

mel December 3, 2010 at 4:48 am

Gruyere cheese rocks! Even here in cheese-heaven switzerland it is the best tasting one you can get. it comes in different tastes. “cave-aged” just blows you away… just for the strong ones. :)

Bekka December 4, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Yum! I like quiche.

Taylor August 5, 2011 at 1:30 am

Have you ever noticed that the label on the first picture says spinach instead of broccoli? =]

kimberly October 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm

maybe this was just me, but after 10 minutes in the oven, the quiche was completely liquid still?? help!!

Emma October 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Every oven runs a little hotter or colder than others, so if you find that a cooking time doesn’t work for you then leave it to cook a while longer. Typically eggs (which is what most of the quiche is) cook rather fast, but you may need to adjust the temperature or baking time to suit your own oven.

Good luck! xo. Emma

sara December 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

nice to hear, that you love gruyere :) we adore it in switzerland and cook a lot of dishes with help of it!!