Fresh Tomato and Basil Pizza

by Emma on October 22, 2010

in Dinner

If the government passed a law that you had to choose one food, and that one food would be the only thing you were allowed to eat for the rest of your life. I would choose pizza. I would be tempted to choose brownies, but in the end I would do the reasonable thing and choose pizza…reasonable…yeah.

I'd like to see them try and enforce this law.

Wait, why am I thinking about imaginary/stupid laws…oh yeah, PIZZA!

IMG_9519
This lovely was topped with a thin layer of tomato sauce, super thinly sliced roma tomatoes, shredded mozzarella, chopped basil and a bit of crumbled feta. It was delicious, I have witnesses, so don't doubt me. :)

IMG_9526
Toppings are fun to change up. What's your favorite combinations?

Let's talk crusts for a second. I love thin crust, but every now and again I crave a lightly yeasted, bready crust. Not thick crust, just something a little chewy and filling.

Chewy and filling pizza crust. Makes 1 extra large pizza pie.

Ingredients: 3 cups flour, 1 cup warm water, 1 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.

Stir together warm water and yeast until dissolved. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour in water/yeast mixture and olive oil, stir until a dough ball forms. Remove dough ball from bowl and knead once or twice (just so it all holds together). Lightly oil the bowl and replace the dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel and store in a cool dry place for 2 hours. Punch dough down and knead for 2-3 minutes. Put it back in the bowl and allow it to rise again for another hour. On a floured surface roll dough out into a large circle (or you can divide this into two smaller pizza pies). Now you are ready to bake, add toppings, bake a bit more and eat!

larissa October 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Oh this looks delicious I think I may just make this tonight! lovely emma!

WhippedCreamOnTop October 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. Arama! I had to throw that arama on there becuase this looks so good! I love tomato basil pizza and would love to whip one up on my own! I will vote for your pizza only law.

AlyssaG October 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm

ive been wanting to make a homemade pizza for a while now… this looks perfect!

Miki October 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yum, yum! Seeing your lovely pictures and reading your posts have inspired me to cook :) . Today I made asparagus and poached eggs; it was so comforting to see a pretty looking dish! I have to cook every day for me and my dad (he has cerebral palsy and my mom passed away), so I kind of it do it mechanically and as an obligation (it sounds awful, but I sometimes feel it’s a burden). I think I should explore this world a little more to find inspiration and to enjoy the process of makig some yummy food. Thank you for having this place of inspiration, Emma! :)
Miki.

Maddy October 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I would also choose pizza! I love it.
If we order from Domino’s or some local chain ish place I usually just get pineapple, but if we go to a nice place or make our own I get red onions, spinach, bacon or any combination of the 3!

Maddy October 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm

p.s. chewy pizza crust = THE BEST KIND

eeny October 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm

my favorite is white pizza sauce with fresh tomatoes and basil and mozzarella cheese =)

patty October 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

You’re really funny. I found your blog this afternoon at work… and then I read the whole thing. Now it’s 10pm and I’m watching iCarly on my couch… it’s not as entertaining. But that’s okay, because I’m 24 and shouldn’t be entertained by it anyway. Or watching it. On a Friday. Just thought you’d like to know I’m highly enjoying your blog!

Rachel October 22, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Yummm. This pizza was made just for me :)

pinksuedeshoe October 23, 2010 at 2:46 am

Yum, I’ll have to try your crust! My fave topping is spinach. I slice it up into little ribbons and put it on top of the sauce, and under all the other toppings. My hubby never even knows that it’s in there, but I always get more compliments on the spinached pizza’s than anything else!

Katy October 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm

mmmm mmm! My husband and i make a pizza similar to this on a weekly basis. We use a whole wheat Baboli crust. Then we spread on some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some minced garlic. Then we add some tomatoes, onion, green and red peppers and some mozzarella cheese on top. We LOVE it. Going to have to try your recipe!

Sarah October 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm

That pizza looks soooo good! I’m now starving! Thanks! lol

allison October 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Thanks! I’ve been hunting for a good pizza dough recipe, and this one sounds perfect :)

Holly October 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Mmm, homemade pizza is the best! This looks so delicious. Olives are my favourite topping on a pizza, mmm! And I love thin crust.

thomassabouk October 29, 2010 at 12:23 am

I walked half an hour, went to the hospital to see dentist change practice. I don’t know he is a branch to work today, also don’t know him not to work today. When that registers, he met his teacher hoardings and the daughter, go through the hall outside, then waved goodbye. Turned round, he saw me, and was to smile. I was very calm, consumedly square smile at him: “hey, your new girlfriend very beautiful.”

Danny October 30, 2010 at 4:52 am

Oh man this pizza looks so good. It reminds me of all the pizzas i have in Italy last summer.

tiffany. November 1, 2010 at 1:05 pm

this is great and really good simple directions! i wonder if i could try this??
xo!

zhfshdjk@hotmail.com December 7, 2010 at 12:23 am

Well, I wouldnt really say theyre dangerous, rather just not an ideal snack, by themselves while not in the midst of prepping for or recovering from a workout.

La January 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

this looks utterly mouth watering!
I quite like tomatoes, lots of cheeses, onions and peppers on my pizza. and alot of chilli flakes!
La
X

Hannah July 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for dinner tonight Emma! I hope it turns out as yummy as your’s looks!