Free-time Food: Books

by Emma on October 21, 2010

in Books

I am still reading so sparsely this month. Too busy. The first book I'm about to share with you all I actually got so into that I stayed up way too late reading and was SUPER grumpy the next day.

And when everyone asks you, "What's wrong? You seem a little…down today."

It's hard to answer, "I stayed up late reading a mystery book and now I'm really tired so just leave me alone," without realizing how ridiculous you sound.

Not that it stopped me.

Book

I adore Alexander McCall Smith, I really think we could hang out. Probably every fan thinks this about the authors they love…but in my case I really think it's true. :) This is a mystery novel, although I would still highly recommend it even if you do not like mystery books. The mystery is usually the side note in this series. The protagonist, Isabel, lives a somewhat solitary life and is therefore an excellent observer of other characters and all the human interactions around her. She is intelligent and often entertains philosophical rabbit trails in her mind while hunting down potential murders, but she is also kind and generous toward her fellow man. Which is why characters often confide in her. So if you like quiet, interesting reads, or just fun mystery novels then I highly recommend Friends, Lovers, Chocolate.

Angelx
It was really by chance that I started "reading" The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman. And I put "reading" in quotes because I didn't quite read it in the traditional sense. I actually listened to it, audio book style. I knew I had to drive my boyfriend to Kansas City last week, so he could catch a flight to New York where he lives. From my home to Kansas City is about fours hours, each way. So I stopped by the library to see if I could find an audio book to amuse myself on the solitary drive home.

Don't judge. Audio books are awesome.

I didn't really see anything on my to-read list, so I started looking for authors I like. I love Alice Hoffman. But when I read the description I wasn't too sure, the book is all about lost loves and broken hearts. Sounded a little sappy. But I saw nothing else good, so I got it.

Two hours into my drive home I was in love with this book. I also had tears streaming down my face and was eating honey Bar-B-Que potato chips.

What did I say about judging? It was a long drive and I was all alone. So there.

Hoffman is one of those authors who can explain those bits of life that are hard to put your finger on but that we all experience, or watch a loved one experience. It's beautiful, stunning and often quite sad. I highly recommend this book, but it will probably make you cry.

You have been warned.

What have you all been reading lately? Anything I should put on my to-read list?

Laura October 21, 2010 at 10:45 am

Just did a post on books I recently have liked. I’m going to have to look this up at our library. I’m always looking for a good book recommendation!

larissa October 21, 2010 at 11:12 am

Oh awesome! I need some new books to read and you always have great taste in books!

Lora October 21, 2010 at 11:48 am

You should look into reading “The Monsters of Templeton” (novel) or “Delicate, Edible Birds” (collection of short stories) by Lauren Groff. They are both absolutely amazing!
And “84, Charring Cross Road” by Helene Hanff is a pretty sweet book as well.

Michelle October 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Wow these books look like exactly what I was looking for – thank you!! I’m excited to read!

Holly Mann October 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I just recently read a Marian Keyes book called “Anybody Out There”-I thought it was funny and a little sad. And “My Name is Memory” by Ann Brashares was good too.

Anna October 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm

These books are definitely going on my ‘to-read’ list!
I’ve been reading “Radical Hospitality” by Daniel Homan and Lorri Pitt (it’s about how to have a hospitable presence wherever you are and whomever you are with-very interesting!) and I’m re-reading the “Anna of Green Gables” series. So beautiful and descriptive! And tell me, how can you not love Gilbert Blythe??? :)

Elaine Groenewald October 22, 2010 at 12:31 am

Love Alexander McCall Smith, especially his series “The No1 Ladies Detective Agency”. I am from South Africa, now living in Aus, so that series warms my heart because it reminds me of home..
xx

NatalieJean October 22, 2010 at 5:06 am

I LOVE your book posts! Thanks for the ideas! I commute about 40 each day to my 6th grade teacher job and listen to young adult audiobooks on the way, killing two birds with one stone. I’m an audiobook fan.

Emily Dickenson October 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’m always looking for new books to read, so I was so happy to see that you had a book post! I’ve recently read, “The Happiness Advantage,” by Shawn Achor. It’s not a story, but a “better your life,” type of book, but is extremely interesting. I love books that help me better myself, and that’s probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Stacy Gizas October 24, 2010 at 9:32 am

No judgement here. Audio books are the bomb ;) May I recommend the Help by Kathryn Stockett. You can find it in hardcover or on audio. Definetely worth a listen (or the read). Let me know what you think. And keep up the good work on the blog, I don’t always comment, but know I’m always reading.

hannah October 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm

not judging, just loving.

thomassabouk October 29, 2010 at 12:23 am

I walked half an hour, went to the hospital to see dentist change practice. I don’t know he is a branch to work today, also don’t know him not to work today. When that registers, he met his teacher hoardings and the daughter, go through the hall outside, then waved goodbye. Turned round, he saw me, and was to smile. I was very calm, consumedly square smile at him: “hey, your new girlfriend very beautiful.”

Moncler jackets November 4, 2010 at 3:13 am

Halloween stirs more interest in the otherworldly and seems to generate more calls, but some investigators believe this is a time of year