You are cool if you read books.

by Emma on July 8, 2010

in Books

And you’re cool if you don’t read books too.

We are all cool. Glad we settled that.

Here are a few books I have been reading lately. I guess you could call these “reviews” although I hardly think I’m qualified for that. But to me, this blog is about sharing things I love. Which includes lots of food, it’s true. But also books, sometimes crafts, sometimes fashion, sometimes pictures of my family. The usual suspects.

AnansiBoys

I’ve mentioned my love of Neil Gaimon before. It’s an ongoing love relationship we have, Neil and I. I can call him Neil since we are friends…right? Anansi Boys is the story of two seemingly opposite brothers who are forced into a confrontation with each other that exposes them to the world of their late father, the world of gods, that is. The book reads like a modern fable and deals with gods who are similar to the mythical greek gods in that they are “flawed” but they are more animalistic, so to speak. It is such a fun, and at some places touching, book. I loved it. You should too.

Knit2

I was in the market for a fun, easy beach book. And this fit the bill. I loved this as much as the first in the series. I don’t know why a movie isn’t being made of these books. I laughed, I cried (really, I did) and I thoroughly enjoyed another of Kate Jacobs’ beautifully human novels. I have now read all the books she has published. So if anyone knows Kate personally, please let her know that I’m tapping my foot and waiting for another. Soon, please. I’m a very demanding fan.

Eleganceofhedgehog

I cannot really “review” this book yet. I have only just started it. I was hoping for something a bit more…meaty (said the vegetarian) and I think I may be in luck. To be honest I am having a bit of trouble getting into it, but the characters and relationships being set up have great potential-in that they are both interesting and unexpected. So I am looking forward to this.

And it was a recommendation from one of you all. So thanks.

Told you I read the books you say.

What are you all reading lately? And good “beach” books?

Update: If you are interested in seeing past book recommendations from me just click on the work “Book” at the bottom of the post, it’s next to the time the post was published and the “Comments” button.

Sabrina July 8, 2010 at 10:35 am

I really should check these books out, they sound really interesting! At the moment, I read “A trip to the stars” by Nicholas Christopher – and I would totally recommend it, too.

Cara-Mia July 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m going to check out those Friday Night Knitting Club books, glad to hear you like them.

Jackelyn July 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I love your book posts! They might be my favorite (…if I didn’t like food so much). I would recommend Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, but you are already vegetarian so it would be like preaching to the choir. I am halfway through and I have been a vegetarian for a week and a half :)
(ps anything else by him is amazing, too)

Sarah M July 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm

ha! your new banner is awesome!
I actually didn’t get to read The Elegance of the Hedgehog since I had to give it back before I could get into it (there were literally 78 people ahead of me in line…ugh).
The first book in that knitting series IS a movie…it’s just been in development awhile (?)
You can bet this knitter will be there when it comes out! (with my yarn in tow, of course!)
Sarah M

Jenny July 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I love your blog by the way. Everytime I see a recipe I want to try it. I even made the mozzarelle sticks at eleven o’ clock at night, eep. I have been wanting to read through some old ones lately. I started George Orwell’s “1984.” Amazing!

Kara July 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I really need to check these out. I just finished a TERRIBLE book called “A Recipe for Bees” (apologies if you or anyone has read it and loved it) and I was pretty disappointed.
I LOVE Gaiman though (are you a Tori fan?) and I need to try that Knitting one…I’ve seen it around. Thanks for the recommendations!

Kat July 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I love the friday knitting club books. Such a great read! Have you read her other book? I can’t remember the name but it is something to do with cooking.

chelsea July 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I recently just started Elegance as well, with the same sort of trouble really getting into it, but also liking it at the same time. I had envisioned myself doing a ton of reading on my trip to Norway but the weather was too beautiful to stay inside!!
Hope you enjoy it!

Salmezan July 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm

oh I was thinking whether I should read the last book before watching the movie this morning….and I still haven’t made up my mind yet. I am currently reading Cecilia Ahern’s Thanks for the memories….and it’s not doing anything for me to be honest. I am only reading it cos I was at my bf’s parents home and i was desperate. Dunno if you’re into Asian literature but Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami is good!

tess July 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I love your book reviews, I always find a one or two I’d like to order from my library. Is there a way I can look back at all your past book posts?

Sun_doll July 8, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Oh I love Neil Gaiman!
I havn’t read Knit Two yet, but its definitely on my list!
I’m in Northern Australia, so at the moment it is cool, grey weather – not quite the inspiration needed for a day at the beach with a book unfortunately – I’d be to worried about ruining my book!

ames July 9, 2010 at 5:40 am

Two of those are already on my to-read list, sounds like I need to bump them up a bit! And get back to reading more, I’ve been stranded in the middle of Smilla’s Sense of Snow and it just isn’t holding my interest very well. Time for something fresh!

kelly* July 9, 2010 at 12:18 pm

i also consider myself on a first name basis with Neil, considering i have had a bit of a crush on him (well not him so much as the wonder that comes out of his brain) for a very long time. if my dream of having him over for a dinner party ever comes true i will invite you!

Karin July 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Emma, love the style of the blog and reading about your adventures in cooking!

Jenna July 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm

right now, I’m reading two books. The first is called Half The Sky by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl Wudunn
It really is an amazing book and such an important piece of work…that all women (and men too) should read. It’s tragic and heartbreaking, but at the same time victorious and hopeful. I’ve both cheered and sobbed. The problem (for me) reading this book is that it’s so heavy and personal for me at times that I need a week or two breather in-between chapters to absorb, so it’s taking me awhile to get through.
The second is Maya Angelou’s I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings.
This book is so beautiful and I am SO LOVING IT, but like Half The Sky, it’s taking me awhile to get through because I can’t seem to read it in any other voice than hers. If you’ve ever heard her speak or read her poetry aloud, you’ll know how slow and drawn out her words are…like she’s savoring every one before she lets it leave her mouth. That’s how I’m reading it and I’m so glad that I know how she speaks because it is making this book even more amazing.
Happy reading! :-) JENNA

Books Read July 10, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Thanks for this informative direction. I hope this will help to others. There are lots of books to read for acquire various knowledge. So people should read more books.

Elizabeth July 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I really liked Kate Jacobs’ knitting books, too – soo good! and I cried, too lol
I just finished “The Guernsey Literay and Potato Peel Pie Society” and it was amazing! I love books that are written in letter format! :)

chickything July 15, 2010 at 11:48 am

I’m reading “the girl with a dragon tattoo” because I just saw the movie. You should check it out.

b July 17, 2010 at 11:28 pm
Meagan July 19, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I heard through the grapevine that a movie about Friday Night Knitting Club IS being turned into a movie… and Julia Roberts is the main character!

Nomi November 19, 2011 at 2:38 am

Coffeehouse Angelhouse by Suzanne Selfors is an AWESOME read. I cried a little I think. It was really sweet! I highly recommend it! Also Artichoke’s Heart by Suzanne Supplee is good. :)

Ollie B March 10, 2012 at 1:42 am

Oh – The Friday Night Knitting Club had the same affect on me – cry.,laugh..and the whole range of emotions. I love these books and I too wish they would make a movie. I would have some friends over, some good food (of course) and enjoy the movie.