Simple Grape Granita

by Emma on July 1, 2010

in Dessert

Grapegranita

Summer time is for: porch swings, cook outs, vacations, sunburned shoulders, fire flies, watermelon…

I could go on…

But summer time is definitely for cold sugary treats. Oh yes. And I just love this grape flavored granita. It's light and sweet and doesn't make me feel like I must wake up and jog in the morning.

Hey I might jog in the mornings. You don't know.

You can use any kind of fruit juice or fresh pureed fruit. I made grape. I love grape juice. And I like the cute purple shade these ended up having. Make some. You won't be sorry.

Grape Granita adapted from Tasty Kitchen

Slushigranita
Finishedgranita

In a sauce pan whisk together 2 cups grape juice, 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 8-9 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in 2 1/3 cup cold water. Allow to to cool completely and then transfer mixture to a freezer safe container with lid (I needed two containers). Cover and place in the freezer. Wait two hours and then gently stir the slushy contents, especially the sides. Cover and return to the freezer for another hour. Repeat the process. Wait another hour, do it again.

Lot's of waiting. I know. But oh-so-worth it!

Chocolateicecream2

This is my new best friend: chocolate ice cream. We hung out. I took his picture. And then, I ate him.

I know. I'm a MONSTER.

Soon I am going to be guest blogging on my sister's blog's and sharing a little tutorial on how to make this chocolate ice cream (and others) at home. Without a ice cream maker.

Angela July 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm

that’s the best description of chocolate ice cream i have ever heard. made me laugh out loud. :)

Linda C July 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Sorry for this crazy comment since it’s actually for Elsie. A while back Elsie put a photo on her blog of a vintage suitcase she loved. Well, my older sister (she’s 80) is cleaning out her attic and she has at least 3 pieces of that blue luggage from the 40′s or 50′s. She is going to get rid of them…probably to a thrift store. I have been a fan of Elsie’s since her early scrapbooking days and actually have a signed copy of her book I got at CHA when I met her. Would you ask Elsie if she would like this luggage? I would love for her to have it if she wants it. Thanks for giving Elsie this message. Linda C
cummings37128@comcast.net
PS. I am excited that you are joining Elsie!

Angie July 2, 2010 at 12:26 am

MMM!! That looks so easy to make! What a perfect summer treat!

Bekka July 2, 2010 at 8:12 am

Yum! I particularly enjoy recipes that don’t guilt me into jogging. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the ice cream is not so good at that. :)

Emily G July 2, 2010 at 12:47 pm

mmmmmm! I think my boys would enjoy this!
and that banner is genius!

Bridget July 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

mmm…i’m definitely going to make this in the near future :) perfect for summer