It’s that time again (book corner time).

by Emma on July 31, 2010

in Uncategorized

So here is what I have been reading this month.

Happiness

This is a short story collection-don't let the title fool you, it's a sort of heavy and very "serious literary" read. It is beautifully crafted and even though each story deals with a hefty amount of sadness, there are still light moments as we watch each of the protagonist transcend their situations.

Butcher

I'm not sure why I assumed this was going to turn into a real-life love story, but it didn't. What it did become was an honest account of one fellow food bloggers story of how, for health reasons, a life long vegetarian began to explore the world of meat eating. Weaver is witty, personal and yet still full of facts and she takes her readers to the butcher shop, to ethically run farms and even to the slaughter house. This is a great read for anyone wanting to know more about the meat industry and reasons behind ethical vegetarianism.

Harrywinston

Total "beach read" or "chic lit" book. Which I do not type with any amount of snobbishness. I like good, fun reads whether they are young adult fiction or memoirs or cook books or awarding winning serious literature. I have an equal opportunity approach to reading. And I liked this book. It's very Sex in the City. It's fun. It's a little embarrassing to be caught carrying it around. I am excited to read her other books (including Devil Wears Prada, which I haven't read yet). Lauren Weisberger-you're a winner in my book!

What have you all been enjoying lately?

Stephanie July 31, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’m actually reading some chick-lit myself at the moment….the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella :)

emily July 31, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I just finished The Help…I think you have read it before? Totally great, I didn’t want it to end. The butcher and the Vegetarian sounds intriguing, I might look that up.
I am just a few pages into Half Broke Horses by the same author as The Glass Castle, which was excellent.

emma August 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Emily-I actually haven’t read The Help yet, but it’s been on my list of must reads for awhile. Sounds like everyone likes it.

Liz August 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

The fact that you delve into *chic lit* as well just put you at the top of my favorite people list. I will read just about anything simply because I love to read. Now I must get my hands on a copy of Chasing Harry Winston, in addition to the book I reallllly want to read right now which is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Have you read it?
xo Liz

Rachel August 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I’ve been re-reading some books from childhood. Right now it’s “Emily Climbs” by L.M. Montgomery. It’s fun to revisit some of my favorites, like rediscovering a present.

christina alessi August 4, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I’m reading Practical Magic (yes, like the movie) and I am really loving it. Next up is The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

Holly August 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Awesome, thanks for suggesting these books! I’m going to check them out on Amazon.
And I totally read chick lit too, haha! I will ready anything and everything, no matter what genre. And chick lit is just great to read while you’re away on vacation or laying around the pool. Or those nights where you just can’t fall asleep and need something mindless to read! :)

Baltina August 7, 2010 at 8:48 am

Hi Emma, Im a new reader but love your blog already. I read a surprisingly well written chic-lit book this summer as well called “Lunch in Paris; Love Story with Recipes” Such a cute and fun book to read, and bonus I tried some of the recipes, the ones I was able to convert vegan and they were yummy.
Also I don’t know if you’ve read Sellevision, by Augustine Burroughs but I finally got around to reading it last week, it was so hysterical and the only book to make me gasp and laugh out loud. Well I look forward to reading your blog and hope you have a very lovely, lovely, day!