Sopapillas two ways

by Emma on June 1, 2010

in Dessert

While I was growing up my family visited Oklahoma alot. My great grandma Lula lived there. She was an absolute doll. But other than my adorable great grandmother the thing I remember most from Oklahoma was this restaurant we would eat at on the drive home, Casa Bonita. I thought it was the coolest place because they had a cave and a waterfall inside the restaurant. And they served the best sopapillas ever!

For anyone who has never had a sopapilla-you truly are missing out. It's basically fried bread that puffs up so that there is a pocket inside where you can pour honey or add in savory ingredients. It's like a mexican doughnut without the glaze. Are you intrigue yet?

Sopapillas
These were a huge hit at the party. And if I were forced to choose my favorite dish from the evening, I would say these. I think I ate, like, seven. Blush.

Recipe from The Homesick Texan

Ingredients: 1 package active dry yeast, 1 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon sugar, 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, oil for cooking (I used peanut oil, but canola or vegetable would be great too).

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let it sit for five minutes. In a large bowl combine the flour and salt. Mix in the melted butter and sugar to the yeast mixture. Slowly mix together the yeast mixture to the flour to form the dough. Knead for 2-3 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.

Sopapillas2
Punch dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into small triangles. Heat up the oil in a shallow pan. Just cook one to test the oil, it should brown and be done inside after about 2-3 minutes of cooking (flip it over halfway through). Once your oil is just right cook all of your sopapillas and place them on a paper towel afterward. Serve warm with honey or a savory dip (like a salsa or what have you). This recipes makes around 18 sopapillas. I doubled it for my party and it work perfectly still.

anna June 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

I made these for Spanish class all the time in high school. we always added cinnamon & sugar! thanks for reminding me of the yummy goodness!

Kristy June 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I went to Casa Bonita while on vacation in Colorado a few times (which is where I now live) and thought that place was the best ever.

Mindy June 1, 2010 at 5:19 pm

oh my word. MY FAMILY USED TO GO TO CASA BONITA!!! all the time when i was younger. for any special occasions. i think it closed awhile back :(
will deff try these…

Elsie June 1, 2010 at 11:55 pm

YUM! those look amazing.
jeremy read that they did the first teleport recently… so, you know what i’m thinking… pretty soon we can teleport treats back & forth?
actually.. that’s probably worse than a microwave.

Bridget June 2, 2010 at 2:39 am

wow! these look great! i pretty much love bread of any kind. which also probably explains why i’m hooked on finding a good recipe for bannock. it was a staple growing up but i haven’t had good bannock in years :(
i’ll have to try these though for sure-mmm…

cindy barriga June 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Oh my goodness, I am a mexican and have never eaten a sopapilla ever. I can not wait to try this recipe with some guacamole and a drizzling of chile. My mouth waters just thinking of it, thanks!

Cami June 5, 2010 at 10:54 am

Casa Bonita is still open. I use to date a cliff diver there back in the day. The sopapillas far exceeded the food. Remember the treasure cave??? How excited you were to go spend your gold coin??? Thanks for bringing back such good memories. I loved growing up in Denver/Aurora.

jane September 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm

OMG i can’t believe you have been to Casa Bonita! i am from Oklahoma (currently living in Texas) and i remember going there as a child. i think that was the 1st place i have ever had sopapillas and they are to die for there! and the other thing i remember was some puppet show w/ inch worm puppets dancing or something. lol. i was really little. don’t remember too many details.

thomassabouk October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm

We go to KTV sing a duet song to celebrate, Tokyo story. “If I say I love you, really loving you and I hope I can wear your Thomas Sabo ring. Is not replace, with time deposits, second will cherish…?” When we mutually looked, I from his eyes see my future happiness of existence. Hall said we have Ifni; the chorus has 95 points, level of the highest. We got the prize, Tokyo story of CD about the time when we were as Thomas Sabo suppliers Practice very hard, each branch, and no salary turn. Sometimes, watching his pale face hard day, I very distressed.