Classic Buttermilk Pancakes

by Emma on May 6, 2010

in Breakfast

I know, I know. I make pancakes alot. Has anyone seen the movie, Stranger than Fiction where an accountant finds that his life is being narrated because he is a character in someone's book and he is going to die at the end of it. And the advice given to him (by Dustin Hoffman) is since his impending death is out of his control he should go have an adventure or just eat pancakes for the rest of his life.

So it's not just me who thinks about eating pancakes all the time. So there. I'm normal.

Buttermilkpancakes
I think buttermilk pancakes are the perfect combination of creaminess and a little hint of tartness that works just right in pancakes. Perfect. And if you bake much you probably are like me and end up with a little left over buttermilk that is on the verge of expiring before you can use it. Don't be a food waster-make pancakes.

Adapted from Martha Stewart's Best Buttermilk Pancakes.

Ingredients: 1 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 egg, a pinch of salt, 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and butter or oil for cooking.

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, sugar and salt. Then add the egg and buttermilk and mix until just combined (still a few little lumps). If you over mix your batter your pancakes will not be as fluffy. I know, I've had many unfluffy pancakes. Unfluffy is not a word. In a heated skillet with a few tablespoon of butter or oil pour 1/3 cup of batter at a time. Once pancakes start to bubble a little flip that baby over. This makes about 8 pancakes.

Caroline May 6, 2010 at 9:54 am

I luuuurve buttermilk pancakes. I like to be extra healthy by smearing them with Nutella and eating them in bed. What can I say, I’m a nut.
Also, I love that movie. I would like to be Maggie Gyllenhaal in that movie — bakery, cookies, round window and all.

Kodi May 6, 2010 at 9:58 am

I like pancakes like that. My parents and I eat them ALL THE TIME.

Breezy May 6, 2010 at 10:29 am

pancakes are the very best, especially for dinner! someday i need to suck it up and actually use real buttermilk – not do the milk+lemon juice thing. i’m sure it tastes a lot better…

Erica Cohen May 7, 2010 at 4:10 pm

around here we have pancake sunday since it’s my husband’s and my only day off together. usually we put blueberries in them with powder sugar on top (: we will have to try these buttermilk pancakes soon!

Josie May 8, 2010 at 7:41 am

I’m not going to lie… if I knew I was going to die in a month I would totally eat pancakes every day. You’re making me crave them real bad now too!

vibram.us October 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm

That summer, we caught up with strangers, and fell in love.
Tanabata, we meet it. This time, we repeated the scene years ago with the ancient and poignant way, but this time, internet dating is the eternal I’ll pull Mens Vibram Fivefingers Classic shoes brown you to the channel, not separation. This summer, we love, and parting is no longer an annual reunion, and I, I, no longer overlap the plot. Appointment, Tanabata run away together into eternity, determined to wait with love to make up for thousands of years of hard, and then cure my drink together, with the forgotten.

Jo April 29, 2011 at 1:51 am

I love pancakes. Thanks for the recipe on buttermilk pancakes.