Weekend Reading

by Emma on April 24, 2010

in Books

Here is what has been on my radar the last few weeks. I have been on a streak of GREAT reads lately (lucky for me).

The-time-travelers-wife
I saw this movie when it came out in theater’s late last year, and loved it. I have been waiting to read this book because I was hoping to forget enough of the plot that it would be as enjoyable as a new book ought to be. But finally I just couldn’t wait any longer. I love the book even more than I loved the movie. And it’s funny, because due to the whole time traveling thing the reader sort of knows what’s going to happen all through the book anyway. I should have known. It’s a beautifully written, melancholy story that hits on the magical as well has the hard moments of any relationship and life-whether lived forwards or backwards.

Hungergames
The Hunger Games centers around a few 12-18 year old kids who are forced to fight each other for their own lives. Sounds pretty gruesome, huh? It is, and I am not the sort of person who finds bloody violence entertaining in general (I can’t even watch it in movies, I am such a baby). But the characters draw you in so that you have to root for them. The world Suzanne Collins has created is set in an alternate future and explores the effects of extreme class divisions as well as children who are exposed to warfare. It sounds extremely grim, I know, but keep in mind it’s listed under “young adult fiction” at the library so it’s not as scary and ugly as it may sound. It’s a great read. And by the last page I realized it’s the first book in a trilogy. Who knew? I will definitely be reading the next in the series soon.

The_Invention_of_Hugo_Cabret
This fabulous find is part graphic novel part children’s book. It took me a little while to warm up to, partly because I don’t usually read graphic novels. But once you are deep into the story you will be truly surprised at how beautiful this book is, both visually and its written story. The main character is a very young boy who lives in the walls of a Paris train station and fixes the clocks there. His story uncovers clues about his lost father, magic, the workings of early wind-up toys, early French films and he uncovers a thought-to-be-dead film maker. Really interesting subject matter and I can honestly say I’ve seen seen another book like.

What have you been reading lately?

abby April 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm

i loved the time travellers wife so much that i was really disappointed by the movie when it came out. it’s such a good read- sucks you right in!

larissa April 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm

thanks so much for posting these books and all the other ones i have read some great books cause of you!

Anna April 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm

i haven’t read “the time traveler’s wife,” but i did like the movie!
i just read “a million miles in a thousand years” by donald miller. i could not put it down, it was amazing! i highly recommend it to almost everyone i meet. :)

Malori April 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I read The Time Traveler’s Wife in about a day. That book was WONDERFUL! Definitely one of my all time favorite books. Right now I’m working my way though Grab On To Me Tightly As If I Knew The Way. It’s one of my favorites so I can’t help but read it again and again :) .

cassie April 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I just picked up Eat Pray Love because I’ve wanted to read it forever.. and now the movie is coming out and I have to read the book before the movie.. because.. aren’t they almost always better?

Bekka April 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

The first two are definitely on my “to read” list. The last one sounds very interesting…I’ll have to look for that one.

Sarah M April 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

oh good! The Time Traveler’s Wife is our next book club read…that meets in two weeks…and I haven’t started….and I’m the leader, LOL.
Good thing to know it’ll go fast.
Sarah M

Hana K. April 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I adore Time Traveler’s Wife and I really enjoyed the movie as well (I watched it after I read the book).
Hunger Games definitely draws you in even though it’s about a very grim sort of topic. I’m still waiting for the 3rd book to come out so maybe you shouldn’t pick up that 2nd one quite yet. It’s just hard to wait!

Kate April 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I love the Hunger Games! I’ve recommended it to everyone I know. I can’t wait for the final book to come out in August.

suzanne April 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm

time traveler’s wife has been on my long and always grown ‘books-to-read’ list for a while now. i still can’t decide if i want to see the movie first or not.
i just started reading The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman and i really like it. magical and strange – like most of her books. she is definitely one of my favorite authors.

Efrat K April 26, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I LOVE your posts about books!! I haven’t read nor seen The Time Traveler’s Wife but you really made me want to! thanks :) .

kristen April 27, 2010 at 10:15 am

I agree The time travelers wife was a great book much better than the movie! I just picked up a book that you said was one of your favs, The poisonwood bible… Very excited to start reading it!

Tula April 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I loved the book, never saw the movie, but there was a bit creepy about their relationship to me. I just devoured Sarah’s Key, loved it. Super read.

tracey-leigh April 28, 2010 at 9:21 am

Time Travelers Wife is one of my fav reads & i dont want to see the film as i like the like the book too much :}

Free Movies May 17, 2010 at 1:08 am

Thank you for reviewing !! I have never gone for it but it is looking quite interesting one..I wish I will go for it very soon..