Snack Attack: Baked Plantain Chips

by Emma on April 5, 2010

in Uncategorized

Every time I buy a bag of salted plantain chips I end up eating the whole thing. It's a little sad.

Plantainchips
I saw these on the kitchn and just had to see if they were any where near as good homemade. First of all, as you can see from my little post-it crib notes, these are super easy to make. They are really cheap to make. And they take less than 30 minutes to make. They are not quite as good as store bought, but they are REALLY close, and a heck of a lot healthier. So if you like plantain chips you absolutely must give these a try. They are my new favorite snack.

Gluetenfreechips
You will need: 2 unripe (green) plantains, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons salt and a couple sprinkles of black pepper.

Peel your green plantains (this is the hardest part, you will probably need a knife). Slice very thin using a mandoline if you have one, if not a knife will do just fine with a little more effort. In a mixing bowl sprinkle chips with olive oil and mix by hand until all chips are coated in oil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place chips on surface. Do not allow them to stack on top of each other (they won't get as crispy, I learned this the hard way). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, turn them and bake another 10 minutes (if you like them very crispy/almost burnt). I like them this way. If you like them a little more raw then bake for 8 minutes, turn and then 8 more minutes. Either way, they are super yummy and highly addictive.

Next time I may try these but with bananas, peanut oil and brown sugar for the sweet version.

Lauren April 5, 2010 at 5:48 pm

this seems delicious!
But do you think you could use regular bananas instead of plantains? I dont have a clue were to get plantains.
they look delicious.

Danielle April 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I tried to make this with Banana’s and used brown sugar. I failed horribly. I’ll follow this recipe directly next time.

emma April 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm

maybe bananas don’t work? i haven’t tried yet. but i know you have to use green ones (unripe ones).

cassie April 6, 2010 at 8:28 am

Aww so goood. I love those things!! And I’ve actually never have had them store bought!

Molly April 6, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Do dried plantains taste different than dried bananas? I would definitely be interested in reading a follow up post about homemade banana chips!

Danielle April 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I did some reading and Bananas seem to work best when deep fried. I might try this next.

thomassabouk October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm

We go to KTV sing a duet song to celebrate, Tokyo story. “If I say I love you, really loving you and I hope I can wear your Thomas Sabo ring. Is not replace, with time deposits, second will cherish…?” When we mutually looked, I from his eyes see my future happiness of existence. Hall said we have Ifni; the chorus has 95 points, level of the highest. We got the prize, Tokyo story of CD about the time when we were as Thomas Sabo suppliers Practice very hard, each branch, and no salary turn. Sometimes, watching his pale face hard day, I very distressed.

Marla February 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm

2 tablespoons salt? That seems like way too much.