Nutty No-Bake Cookies

by Emma on April 15, 2010

in Dessert

This is my mom's recipe. Plus more nuts. My mom is a great cook. I don't where she got it because my grandmother (God bless her) is NOT. She has other great talents but cooking is not one of them. And my dad has a few great dishes he does too. Anyway, I digress. These cookies are something my mom would make in the spring/summer so that we could eat cookies without having to turn the oven.

Nobakecookies

They are my favorite cookies. I love the chewiness of the oats and the perfect combination of chocolate with peanut butter. I add more nuts to mine too, for that extra crunch. They take less than 10 minutes to make and you only need to dirty one large saucepan in the process (no mixing bowls or egg beaters to clean up here)! So in summary: they are cookie heaven.

Ingredients: 2 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup butter, 3 cups oats, 1/2 cup (chunky) peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 cup of your favorite chopped nuts (I used almonds)

In a large sauce pan, over low heat mix together sugar, cocoa, milk and butter until well combined. Bring to a rapid boil and maintain at a low boil for 4-5 minutes. You want it to boil for exactly 5 minutes, but in my experience it's better to under shot the time rather than over shot. This is what makes them stick together and solidify. If you under cook them they will not harden enough (but just put them in the freezer for a little bit for an easy save) if you over cook them they will be too dry and crumbly and not form cookies-so watch out for that. After 4-5 minutes of boiling, remove pan from heat and quickly stir in vanilla and peanut butter. Once the peanut butter has mostly melted into the batter stir in oats and nuts. Spoon onto wax or parchment paper and allow to set up for 8-10 minutes. This will make 12-15 spoonful size cookies.

Kristy April 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Those are my favorite cookies since I was young!! I’ve never had them with nuts, I bet it makes them even yummier.

feefeelatu April 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I love these! We call them “no bake cookies”

burgess Ewton April 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Thank you SO much for reminding me of these! I need to make some ASAP!

hollysarah. April 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm

oooh, definitely going to try these! Thanks for sharing, Emma.

Sarah Lockhart April 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

loooove these.

emily April 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about these yummy cookies. I remember them from when I was a kid. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to make them again :)

Morgen April 16, 2010 at 8:28 am

My mom used to make these too. She made them at Christmas this year. It was like being a kid again! Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)
Morgen

elycia April 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm

these look soo yummy. my mom used to make cookies that looked just like these…but they had very different ingredients! i might try making a vegan version of these :)

SeeingSunshine April 17, 2010 at 1:44 am

Mmm my mum hasn’t made these in years. I think I might have to now :]

Elizabeth April 17, 2010 at 11:37 pm

oh my gosh! I LOVE THESE!!!
except at home we call themy ‘fudgy no-bakes’ and usually leave out the pb and any nuts…though they taste really good w/nutella!!! :D

Vera April 18, 2010 at 12:46 am

Mmm…looks good! I’m a sucker for no-bake recipes. Thank you for sharing! :)

Emma Peters April 20, 2010 at 12:55 am

Oh I am definately going to make these. Even my coelic mum can eat them. Thanks for the fab recipe.

jill April 20, 2010 at 7:58 am

Oh,i made these years ago and loved them.I am so glad you reminded me of them,i totally forgot.

christy April 21, 2010 at 2:53 am

Oh yes, I love these. In my mum’s handwritten recipe book it is a HUGE batch, and it is easily eaten by… ahem… just me.
Your photo is exactly what mine look like.

Bekka April 21, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I really like these. I remember my 2nd grade class made a cookbook for Mother’s Day, and this was one of my favorite recipes.

Alice April 22, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This recipe is very close to one in the Company’s Coming Kids Cookbook which I had growing up (and still have!). They’re called Fiddle Diddles in the cookbook, but don’t call for peanut butter. I love these cookies! Now I make them vegan by using Earth Balance instead of butter. Yum!

vibram.us October 28, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Shoulder to rely on your occupation, tears wet my costume, heart trembling slightly, love and affection was confused for a collapse. Chang’an City, Mens Vibram Fivefingers Classic shoes black green orange the second green onion surface to a few small text Wooden table, benches, sitting face to face, whisper that the initial appointment, please forgive me a lot. -
And years later, you’re sick to sleep where we lay, Tanabata back to a place called the Temple, leaving behind only the full load I was seriously injured. But we said, okay, July 7 to return to the initial interview with the place, drink a bowl of soup. I began struggling to find space to live after you pass away, across the Kunlun and asked the saying Mens Vibram Fivefingers Classic shoes blue/grey practice all over the gods, Mount Putuo has no traces of you, finally you saw the other side of the island of Penglai, grant that the sparrow is immortal Island for us to bypass, it is three years after the July 7, your face is still, I Mens Vibram Fivefingers Classic shoes bluewhite carved wrinkles years old. Re agreement, July 7, the afterlife must meet this life, so I, and I, I refused Mengpo Tang, refused to forget about you.