English Muffins

by Emma on February 16, 2010

in Breakfast

Englishmuffins
Why do they call them English Muffins? Are the truly English? I have only been to England once (for 3 months during an exchange program in college) and I don't remember seeing these in the store. I ate crumpets. And "biscuits" (aka cookies). And scones.

No matter their origin I do love a good English muffin with either butter or cream cheese and jam. Next to the bagel, it's my favorite breakfast bread. :) So of course I had to try making them from scratch. And these are marvelous. Fool proof. And pretty easy (they do take a bit of time though, they are a yeast bread after all).

Adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker's English Muffin recipe

Ingredients: 2 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast, 1 tablespoon softened butter, 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup warm water. Makes 6 medium to large English muffins.

Castiron

(just got this cast iron skillet yesterday. yay!)

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except water. Slowly add in water until a soft dough ball forms (you may not need all the water). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes. Lightly oil a bowl and place dough ball inside, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 60 to 90 minutes. Divide into 6 even pieces and roll into small balls. Place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and allow to proof for another 60 minutes, covered by a dish towel or what have you. Heat a skillet over medium heat and lightly cover with butter or oil. Cook dough balls in skillet for 4-6 minutes until golden brown but not burnt, then flip over and repeat. Immediately after browning muffins bake at 375 F for 6-10 minutes until fully cooked. That's it. Easy as pie.

emily February 16, 2010 at 8:14 pm

damn, you are good. thanks!!

Violet February 17, 2010 at 12:06 am

I really want to get a cast iron skillet! It’s on my list of kitchen to-gets. How are you doing with the not-washing it part? That’s the only thing I’m skeptical about!

ames February 17, 2010 at 5:30 am

ooh, yum!

Sarah February 17, 2010 at 8:54 am

Wow, that does sound pretty easy! I’ll have to try it sometime soon when I get a chance.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Emma February 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Mm, indeed they are English, yum! One of my favourite breakfasts is eggs florentine – English muffin with wilted spinach, poached egg and hollandaise sauce – actually, I’m guessing that with the name ‘florentine’ that recipe isn’t English at all, ha! But I also love them toasted with some lovely orange marmalade on top x

jordan retro 3 August 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm

You don’t love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because you love her.Do you understand?

vibram.us October 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Suddenly a cool wind, with a mean of condition, the bleak autumn wind disturbed my thoughts. The sports express “, has turned out, run ended in autumn, the heart be suddenly enlightened. I smiled, very joyful, I know – victory belongs to the Mens Vibram Fivefingers Kso shoes greyorangeyellowpeople. Although his side gambol on everything lost, or even lose yourself. But it can’t hit me, I have to prepare for the next chips, gambol on, next time I must be all belong to oneself.
Thank you, autumn. Are you help me wash away the dust Mens Vibram Fivefingers Kso shoes multi-grey of the heart, give me the strength to