Booky Books

by Emma on February 22, 2010

in Books

I likes to read. Although I’ve got to say that this past month I have read a lot less than usual. I wasn’t that busy…hmm…guess I was lazy;) But I did come across a few *gems* this month.

Goodinbed
Good in Bed, other than having a very mischievous (and if you are carrying this book in public-embarrassing) title also features a wonderfully warm and funny story about the (love) life of an overweight journalist. This would make a really good (not lame) romantic comedy if it ever became a movie. Super fun read.

Charmingbilly
Charming Billy is a wonderfully written, melancholy book. It’s characters are defined by each other as they are all seemingly one big Irish-American family living in New York. It’s a love lost story told in a nonlinear fashion so that by the time the author fills in the blanks they mean even more than they would have had they story been told in chronological order. Really great literature.

Audacityofhope
Yeah, I read it this month. Timing is everything, am I right? I enjoy the news and NPR as much as the next girl but I had not taken the time to read this until now. It’s very good, sort of inspiring in a way. Yes, he always talks like a law professor. But he also tells stories about how he met his wife and special moments with his daughters. Those were my favorite parts:)

What have you read this month?

Kate Reed February 22, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Great collection of short stories:
Stacy Richter’s My Date with Satan.
I’m a Creative Writing Grad student and she’s got a wonderful, refreshing (not snobby and boring) voice.

rachel denbow Style Feature February 22, 2010 at 11:57 pm

does Parenting magazine while on elliptical machine count?
nope.
didn’t think so.
I DID read The Road in January. Sad but….no just sad.

cheree February 23, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thanks for the tips – I am adding Charming Billy to my list.
My February reads include Doing Nothing, the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime and Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons. I’m working on reading 52 books in 52 weeks… my reviews are here http://chereemoore.blogspot.com/

dixie February 23, 2010 at 11:26 am

I’m probably halfway through about 5 books at the moment. whenever I get busy I just never read.
Right now my book club chose to read the Happiness Project and then after that we’re reading Committed. Speaking of book club I really need to go buy those books…

ally February 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Oh, I enjoyed the Audacity of Hope despite the fact that I am not the biggest Obama fan. You’re right, the moments that he shares about his family are the best.

Emma February 25, 2010 at 7:38 am

Just finished The final Harry Potter book – I know, I’m WAY behind everyone else!