I’m back…with books too.

by Emma on January 8, 2010

in Books

I had such an amazing time with my family this past week. I always hate to leave town, even if its freezing and I am missing my pug. Saying goodbye to your family has got to be one of the hardest things to do on the planet. Before our flight yesterday I realized I had left my crocheting at my sister’s house, which is what I was planning to do for the three hour flight back home. Oops. So I borrowed a book from my brother’s girlfriend, Sarah.

CoralinePoster
Coraline isn’t a very long book, and its for younger readers so I finished it by the time our we landed in LA. What a great read! It was even more scary than the movie.

The Other Boleyn Girl
I finished this book earlier last month. It is one of my favorite historical fiction finds ever, not that I have read too many yet. But this book was so good and kept me on the edge of my seat so much that I plan to seek out more good HF reads in the future. I saw the movie a few weeks after-very liberally adapted.

Comfortfood
I know, I know, another Kate Jacobs book. What can I say? I liked her last book so much and then I saw she had one that centers around a woman with her own cooking show. I couldn’t leave it on the library book shelf, and I was not in the least bit sorry I didn’t-such a fun read.

Theduchessbook
This is my current reading material. I’ll be honest, so far it’s a little boring.

Caton Morris January 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I am reading the duchess too and I honestly set it down a few chapters in and never picked it up again, a very slow start!

Bekka January 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Thank goodness for the internet, so we can still be in touch with those we miss.
I may need to look into the Kate Jacobs books…I need a good fun read. Reading historical fiction is kind of strange for me, only because I’m married to a guy who is an awesome history teacher, but really like to pick apart those kinds of books. But I really shouldn’t worry about that, and just enjoy the reading. :)

dixie January 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

So I’m guessing the Other Boleyn girl isn’t very much like the movie. I liked the movie version but I don’t like reading books after I’ve seen the movie unless the two are pretty different. Maybe I’ll pick it up
I also saw the movie of the Duchess and found it incredibly depressing.

Kate January 8, 2010 at 8:25 pm

the last boleyn is also good you might like that one too. the duchess was boring the movie was better – but it’s historically accurate so it reads like a history book such an interesting character she was.

Krysten January 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Hmm I may just have to read that Kate Jacobs book!

Amanda January 19, 2010 at 8:21 am

Hey Emma! We have the same taste in books! I am currently reading Foer’s ‘Eating Animals’ and have read ALL the books you have above. Have you read any of Ruth Reichl’s books? She used to be the editor of Gourmet magazine, years and years ago and has a great memoir about food/life called “Comfort Me With Apples” it was a great read. Anyway….one only has so much time, I know…keep up the lovely posts, you are a lovely girl! :)

chelle January 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I agree about The Other Boylen Girl’s movie adaption. Maybe if I’d seen the movie first, it wouldn’t have been such a disappointment to me.
If you’re interested in the Tudor period, Philipa Gregory’s other novels are good, too. They may not be historically acurate at all, but they are a good fiction read.

Stephanie January 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm

loved loved loved the The other Boleyn Girl. hated the movie. started reading The Dutchess. found it to be so boring, i just could not get into it & had to pass mid-way through, which i hate doing.

Kourtney July 4, 2011 at 2:18 am

Love the books you’ve featured her,e but I also wanted to say that I LOVE your library section. In fact, I’ve written a post about how much it has inspired me to do something similar over at my own blog. You can check out the post here: http://hairofthehare.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/inspiration/

Cheers!

lacey November 13, 2011 at 4:32 am

i loved ‘the friday night knitting club’! it was actually just something i picked up while i was out one day thrifting, after that i never looked into any other books the author had written, i’ll definitely check out the one you listed in your library!