Eating Animals

by Emma on December 15, 2009

in Books

EatingAnimals
I have a confession: I am only half-way through this book but I am already going to recommend it. I can’t help it. I have read a lot of books on the case for vegetarianism, let’s just say more than ten. I have read books written by philosophers, journalists and novelists. And I have to say that this is the best one yet! It’s interesting but still full of facts, and its extremely nonjudgmental. I don’t like reading sermons, facts reports or emotionally charged rants. And this book is none of those things. Jonathan Safran Foer is one of my favorite authors (check out both his novels, they are amazing!) and what he has done with this book is truly commendable.

vivianna December 15, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Oh Emma-
I was going to get this book the other night. Now I am going to go get it tonight!

Jana December 15, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I saw him on Ellen & bought the book after that show. I just haven’t had time to sit down & read it yet. He made good points on the show that day that made me want to read it.

suzanne December 15, 2009 at 6:39 pm

i didn’t even know this book existed! i love love LOOOOOVE his other two. must read this ASAP – thanks!
(p.s. if you haven’t already read The Lovely Bones – you really should! i think i may have recommended it before when you were asking for suggestions, but just thought I’d recommend it again, it’s that good :) (and there is a movie version of it coming out soon)

emma December 16, 2009 at 12:37 pm

whoa-he was on Ellen? that basically combines two of my favorite things…looks like i have some youtube browsing to do:)

Nathalie December 16, 2009 at 11:05 pm

You said journalists. Did you read Thanking the Monkey? I loved it.

Her December 20, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I saw this at the book store and flipped through it… wasn’t too sure about it though. Glad to hear you liked it, now I may have to go back and get it! I love the cover too.

Marisela March 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Yay okay I’m here going through your site loving all the vegetarian recipes you have because I’m reading this book right now and have just become (about 2 weeks ago) a vegetarian myself because of it! I’m excited you love the book too and that I found your blog- it will definitely help with the change into not eating meat and give me tons of stuff to cook for those around me to enjoy too!