Books and Books and Books

by Emma on November 5, 2009

in Books

I don't know if you can call reading a hobby or a passion or what exactly but I do adore a good novel. In fact among my list of top 5 most desirable occupations, librarian comes in at number 4. (In case you are curious: 1. Actress 2. Lawyer 3. Writer 4. Librarian 5. Philosophy Professor) And this month I have been on a good books streak it seems like. Here is my last month in review:

Aboutboy

Nick Hornby has a number of novels that have been turned into movies. And many of them are movies that I truly adore-so I thought it was high time I checked him out. And I was not disappointed.

MemoirsGeisha

This book was never on my radar, and I have not yet gotten a chance to see the movie. In fact I was just browsing for another book that I couldn't find, and I need a book because I was about to have some forced down time (my day job requires waiting around) so I just sort of stumbled on to this book. And I thought I would either love it or never finish it. I finished it in under a week-so good!

Graveyard-book

Neil Gaiman won the 2009 Newbery Award for this book. And he totally deserved it. I actually read this with the fifth-grade student I tutor. We used it to identify common literary devices. But it turned out to be a really good read. I highly recommend it for young readers and older-its like a Harry Potter type reading level.

Northanger-abbey

This past year I read my first Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice. And I really fell in love with her writing. This novel is actually one of her first although it was never published during her lifetime (thank you, informative book sleeve;) It was very good, not as good as P&P but definitely worth the read.

Franny&Zooey

I am currently about 2/3 through this book. It's rather short so I expect to be done tonight or tomorrow. It's really more like two short stories that sort of intertwine. It has been a long time since I read Catcher in the Rye (same author) but from what I remember I would say it is sort of similar in how the characters are almost outsiders to their own world, which gives them a truly honest insight on life and its struggles. I am really enjoying this book.

What have you read lately? I really do appreciate a good recommendation. And if any of you are on goodreads.com you can find me here.

Jackie November 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

I love reading too.. (Catcher in the Rye is so good!) here are some of my favorites you might like!
Escape by Carolyn Jessop (so amazing!)
The Pact by Jodi Picoult (made me cry and I couldn’t put it down!)
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson (true story; so inspiring)
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Enjoy : )

amy schubert November 5, 2009 at 11:42 am

Emma – There’s a $1 bookstore right near my house (on Ventura in Encino) that has a GREAT selection (for a used bookstore). My hubby and I spent $22 the first visit!
P.S. ALL Jane Austen is great
P.P.S. The Memoirs of a Geisha movie is not as good as the book.

Andie November 5, 2009 at 1:49 pm

The Ha-Ha by Dave King (it can be kind of hard to find sometimes. i don’t know why. it’s so good.)
I don’t know if you would get into Charles Bukowski, but I haven’t stopped reading him since I began reading him about 6 months ago and you know, you can always borrow one of ‘em.
We should watch Memoirs of a Geisha together, I haven’t seen it in a long while.
We should also start a book club. But seriously.
(and hey, i have a blog now)

Katja November 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm

nick hornby is my favorite author. :) i LOVED his latest book “slam” and i will always always always love “how to be good”.
but in fact, i love every book he wrote :D

Kayla November 5, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I’m actually reading Pride and Prejudice right now! To be honest, I just can’t seem to get into it, mostly because I’m not used to reading her type of writing. But it is a good storyline!

Violet November 5, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I love, love, love The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. A must read. :)

suzy November 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm

love everything by nick hornby (the movies are not nearly as good as the books) and memoirs of a geisha is definitely one of my faves! i’ve actually never read any jane austen but have always meant to.
i also like anything by alice hoffman, and would highly recommend life of pi, by yann martel, and the lovely bones by alice sebold – hauntingly good (just finished it)

kelly November 6, 2009 at 11:35 am

if you are getting into Jane Austen I have to recommend Persuasion. Definitely my favorite of hers.

Nicole November 6, 2009 at 8:01 pm

If you like Salinger you might like Perks of Being a Wallflower and Running With Scissors. Also, I belive all the philosophy anyone ever needs to know is in Franny and Zooey.
Visit my blog@

Sari Addison November 7, 2009 at 12:15 pm

All of Jane Austen is soo good- my favorite is Persuasion. And Sense and Sensibility.

Becca Pirwitz November 9, 2009 at 1:45 pm

the graveyard book… checking it out. it sounds so fun!
i recently read “The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life’s Journey”. it’s an autobiography of Muhammad Ali. it’s pretty interesting, actually. i loved it! :)

Sarah November 10, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Hi! I hope you are still checking these comments, I tried to post before and it didn’t go through, so I’m trying again!
First of all, I’m actually a Philosophy Professor, so hopefully being #5 on your list means my recommendations are appealing to you. :)
My favorite book is Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. All Vonnegut is great but this one is by far the best. I also loved Siddhartha by Hermann Hessee.
PS You should become a prof! So fun and rewarding, and I think you’d be a great fit! I teach Environmental Ethics (hence my interest in your blog) and I’m only 25, so we aren’t all stuffy old men. :)

anne December 13, 2009 at 11:17 pm

hehe i’m a middle school librarian–it’s the best job in the world :)
grapes of wrath is my favorite book of all times. but almost every other book that’s been mentioned i love too.
the city of bones, the city of glass, and the third one (i can’t remember the name right now) are a good series to follow up twilight. nice quick reads. and more…romantic…no…lustful? than twilight :)

Toni November 14, 2011 at 5:35 am

I adore Nick Hornby. Have you read ’31 Songs’? I cried when I read about how Badly Drawn Boy’s song, ‘a minor incident’ pretty much sums up how life is with his with his autistic son. Very moving.
toni xo